Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 23- This challenge is flying by!

I can believe how fast the time has gone. Incorporating an hour or two of yoga into my day everyday has not been as hard as I had suspected. I think for the last few weeks of this challenge my real challenge will be not to check my phone until I leave the studio I am at. Learning to let go. My phone is one thing I really want to let go.

The passed week has been really amazing. I have been reading my borrowed book on chakras and kundilini which is very fascinating. I am trying to incorporate some of these thoughts into my practice and set an intention to work on my energy when I can. I still have a lot to learn and may actually get reiki done at some point. I enjoyed a variety of practices this week. I'd say this has been the most diverse week I've had. I went to astanga at the yoga center, blue moon, a couple moksha classes, flow 2 (1st time), and an open flow at source. My greatest accomplishment this week in my practice was doing camel for the first time!! In flow 2 Robyn got us to go into partners to do our back bends and work on opening up our chest. The visual she gave of shining energy out of us really helped to get my energy flowing and such a nice focus for the practice. Being with a partner (Lisa) definitely boosted my confidence to try and accomplish a deeper expression of camel pose than I usually do. I felt safe to reach for my ankles and knew that someone would be there for support if needed. Small confession (I've been doing camel at home when I can.. just to make sure I can do it on my own.. so far I've done it every time... ha ) The class at source on Friday was a nice completion to this. We did a lot of core and spine strengthening as well. Leanne has a very fluid way of practice. She got us to finish off the practice with the incredible chest stretch. (Ironically I was just asking Robyn the night before about a good chest stretch). We used bolsters behind heads and blocks to prop up our backs so we could really stretch out our front side. Carolyn and I were both in the class and we felt like we were on a completely different planet afterwards. Meeting our friend for Spicy Noodle House soup after the class was quite the experience. ha ha.

We all need people to help accomplish goals in our life. It's really interesting to think how we let the ego of being an 'independent adult' get in the way of asking for help and support at times till we are able to do it on our own. This experience I had this week reminded me of being a kid learning to ride a bicycle. Your parents hold onto the side of the bike while you go than all of a sudden they let go. You are doing it on your own! The impossible thing that you were so scared to do ...you're actually doing it! We all just need a bit of support at times from our friends, family and community.

I am really enjoying being a part of this yoga challenge, sharing with my good friends and meeting lots of great new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment